Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Making a stink at work (literally)


I bet many of us can think of past (or present) coworkers who were not pleasant to work with for different reasons. Sometimes personalities clash and work ethics differ. Even personal habits and hygiene can cause conflict, particularly in a close working environment.

The Smoking Gun recently ran two stories about a recent written citation at the Social Security Administration given to an employee for "uncontrollable flatulence" that created a hostile and intolerable work environment for coworkers. The first story details the citation (part of a formal progressive discipline process), and also provides the full 5-page letter given to the employee - including accounts of prior meetings with supervisors discussing the matter and a detailed timeline of the recent flatulence episodes.

A month later, the second story followed up with a report that the formal reprimand had been withdrawn after scrutiny from higher management, even before the initial story had been exposed.

Personal habits and hygiene can be a touchy situation in a work environment. Was the written reprimand warranted? I don't know. I suppose only the employee's coworkers know the extent of the problem. But I know that I have had experiences of having to discuss body odor, perfume smells, and bad breath with employees under my supervision, and it is always awkward and embarrassing for both parties. However, I have never had to resort to a formal warning or written documentation. And for that, I am grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment