Monday, May 17, 2010

Should You Really Take a Seat?



A recent article from Business Week has brought the ergonomics of the office chair back into the spotlight. It argues that the very act of sitting in your office chair for 8-9 hours a day can wreak havoc on your spine and cause permanent bodily damage.

Now, this isn't anything I hadn't heard before. But what I found interesting were the alternatives to sitting that were laid out in the article:
  • Perching: "a half-standing position at barstool height that keeps weight on the legs and leaves the S-curve intact"
  • The Swopper: "a hybrid stool seat" (more info here)
  • The HAG Capisco chair: described as "funky" and "high" (here's an image)
  • Treadmills: They suggest having employees walk on low-speeds while working or while in conferences.
I don't know if I buy into the argument that our chairs are going to kill us. Really, shouldn't we take responsibility for our own health? I mean, is a $400-$1000 chair or treadmill really going to solve your problem? If you sit/stand in any position for a long period of time, it's going to cause your body stress. (I do think the treadmill approach has some merit - minus the costs.) Once the novelty has worn off, my guess is that there will be just as many experts and research studies that condemn these new practices as dangerous/unhealthy as well.

I also think it's our sedentary lifestyle that harms us more than the chairs in which we sit.


I suggest simply taking regular breaks. Actually get up from your chair/perch/Swopper and walk around for a few moments throughout the day. It doesn't cost a thing, and helps you burn off some calories - as long as you don't stop at the vending machine.
 
What are your thoughts about these or other alternatives to the traditional office chair?

2 comments:

  1. My husband had a coworker who sat on an exercise ball instead of a chair. I chalked it up to his eccentricity, but maybe he was onto something. I also work closely with a man whose office doesn't have a chair. His desk is elevated, so he can stand and use his phone, computer, etc.

    I recently was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my lower back, so I am especially conscious of how I sit, stand, and lie down. I have found that in the office, maintaining good posture and getting up and moving around regularly have helped me keep my back pain to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great points! Thanks for you comments.

    Whenever I think of exerecise balls, I can't help but think of the episode of The Office where Dwight has one, and Jim purposely pops it with his scissors because he found it so annoying.

    I worked at an organization where a handful of employees had raised desks and no chair. They seemed to like it.

    ReplyDelete